There are two different brackets for post season play in the OHSLA: the Championship bracket and the Cascade Cup Bracket. As noted below, both brackets rely on LaxPower ratings for seeding calculations. The brackets are released within 24hrs of the calculation of Lax Power ratings after last day of the season, for 2017 that will most likely be the evening of May, 18th. Note: Because the LaxPower ratings are not final until all scores have been received and LaxPower calculation has been performed, the bracket calculation is dependent on prompt score reporting by coaches on the last day of the season (May, 16th). Even if all scores are submitted that last night of games, LaxPower is based on the east coast, so the LaxPower rating used for the brackets may not be calculated until the next morning. This year, a PDF snapshot of the LaxPower rating used for bracket calculations will be posted on this site.
OHSLA Championship Bracket Formation
- The first and second place teams in each Conference receive "automatic" bids, to use the nomenclature of the NCAA tournaments. The remaining "At-Large" bids are given to the teams with the highest LAXPower Ratings at the end of the regular season that did not recieve automatic bids. How are Lax Power ratings calculated? Check out the explanation on LAXPower.
- Bracket seedings are done based on LaxPower ratings. The top eight LAXPower rated teams earn a first round bye.
- Note that, since some of the automatic bids may go to teams that were not in the LAXPower top 24 rated teams, the tournament seeds may not be a direct match to the LAXPower ratings.
Cascade Cup Bracket Formation
- The Cascade Cup includes the 16 highest rated teams from the LAXPower Ratings at the end of the season that are not part of the Championship Bracket.
- Bracket seeding will map directly to relative LAXPower rankings of the teams. How are Lax Power ratings calculated? Check out the explanation on LAXPower.
As noted in the OHSLA 2016 SOPs (section #22) for playoff games in Playoff Rounds 1 & 2, and Quarterfinals (and now Cascade Cup Semi-Finals) pricing and revenues are as follows:
- Admission charges, prices determined by the Commissioner, MUST be charged to ALL spectators, not just those of the visiting school.
- Admission prices are $8 for adults and $5 for students. Kids 5 and under are free.
- The gate total shall be split 50/50 with the OHSLA and host school after approved host expenses are subtracted from the gate total. OHSLA Treasurer Lisa Hockman will email each club their referee costs after each playoff game. The total amount due can be calculated from the 2016 OSHLA Playoff Payment Worksheet (right click and select "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As...", depending on your browser). A copy of this worksheet with the payment can be sent to the OHSLA Treasurer.
- If charging admission is a problem for any program, special arrangements must be made with the OHSLA prior to the game taking place.
- Failure to charge admission/submit accounting worksheet/pay OHSLA share will result in (1) the team being billed for the average share received by the league received from schools in a similar playoff round PLUS (2) a $250 fine.
If you have any questions or need a playoff calculation worksheet emailed to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel AllowancesOHSLA will help with travel costs for visiting playoff teams in the first three rounds of the playoffs (first round, second round and quarter finals). The travel cost reimbursements have changed this year. There will no longer be reimbursements for in district travel, and amounts for near district travel has been reduced slightly. For teams that have home games as well as away games, the travel allowance for their away game can be applied as a credit (just like any approved host expense) to their final team billing. The Table below shows the Travel Allowance from OHSLA for teams between the four areas in the state.
PDX Salem Eugene High Desert PDX N/A $200 $300 $400 Salem $200 N/A $200 $300 Eugene $300 $200 N/A $300 High Desert $400 $300 $300 N/A